This Blog has moved to new URL. Visit the blog at the new destination greatestreviews.net.

What really is a SCAM?

Posted by Agent Deepak | Tuesday, June 17, 2008 | Comments

I have many a time heard of Scams and I was scammed sometimes too. But I clearly do not know what things can be called Scam. I know that if you are cheated for money it’s a Scam. OK Before I discuss any further I have something to share.

Yesterday I wrote a review on a crazy service called Free Web 2.0 Upgrade. Now this program or service is not yet launched. It will be launched on July 1st. Read more about it in my last post. Now this program is giving away one million dollars. I know it sounds fishy. As I have stumbled upon this program more than twice in this month, I thought it worth a review. If you have read my last post or have heard of this thing, you might already be thinking if it’s a Scam or is it for real. To be true to myself I do not know. As this service is free I DO NOT HAVE PROBLEM TRYING IT. I received a comment for my last post few hours ago. As I was expecting, the comment said it’s a Scam and gave me two links. I am grateful for those links. It’s a great aid to my reviews. By following the links I reached a forum and a blog. But I still could not verify if it’s a Scam or not.

Now how to determine if something is a Scam or not. This is the main discussion here. First of all, what things can be called a Scam? As far as I know the most common Scams are when you are cheated for money. Most common example of it is, you send money for some services or products but the service or product is not delivered to you. Another classic example being, you get an email promising you won something in lottery and ask for account details. In my earlier posts I also mentioned about PayPal Scams and Frauds. Now most of us can easily recognise Scams like this. But there many more Scams as well. I have seen some GPT and PTC programs being called Scams as they did not paid the money. We are able to determine these Scams as they have happened earlier but what about the new ones. There are a variety of them out in the internet. I know there are many sites which provide a list of Scam sites but what if they have not listed the site you are inquiring for. Now do you have any idea or tips on how to determine Scams?

Now I have also one more discussion. I just have a small question for you. Let’s see it as an example. You buy a product or service. Now there is no assurance that the product or service will be helpful. The seller has given some special instruction on how to use his product. He tells you that many have succeeded using that product (He is telling the truth, you do not know about it). You try your best but you are not even able to achieve even 20%. Will you call that product or service a Scam? What’s your answer?