This Blog has moved to new URL. Visit the blog at the new destination greatestreviews.net.

PayPal Scams and Frauds going around

Posted by Agent Deepak | Tuesday, May 20, 2008 | 4 comments »

I take for granted that most of you know about PayPal scams and frauds. Mostly the scams are done through emails and phishing websites.

I haven’t seen any phishing website so far. So cannot tell how they look. Even if I knew about any I will not visit it. But I have seen scam mails. I got one into my hotmail account a month ago. I do not remember how it looked. As I knew that these things happen I deleted it. Then I thought I will not be bugged by these. I haven’t received any up to now in my hotmail. I read an article on PayPal Phishing website on 13th of this month. The article was titled Warning: Paypal Phishing Website . I concluded that scams are increasing. And now I recently have received emails in my Gmail account. I have to this point got two of them. I am pleased that those emails landed on my spam folder. Even if they would not have landed there, I would have recognised them as spam. It is so because my Gmail account is not connected to my PayPal account.

By the way the main reason, I wrote this article is that many get scammed by these mails. Yes even if many know about it, they sometime do not recognise it and get scammed. To help you out I took the risk of reading these mails. I took a screen shot as well. The screen shot is just below (click it for a larger view).



If you have been a member of PayPal then you know how the original email from PayPal looks. Now let me tell you these scam mails look exactly same with all the original links. The mail I got said “Attention! Your PayPal account has been limited!” There was even a reference number. It looks like original. Then how to know they are scams.

Well it is simple first look at the address of sender of the mail. If it’s not from PayPal domain it’s a scam. I use a software, Trend Micro eMail ID. It is just 2.5 MB of download. It checks email senders in well know service provider like yahoo, hotmail etc. Whenever I get an original email from PayPal, It shows some icon before the mail which says it is verified. This software works in windows XP. In Vista I installed it in compatibility mode.

Secondly, even if all links outs look original, they are not. The main link which said to activate the Account is the scam part of the mail. It does not point to PayPal. In my mail it pointed to some other domain. It looked like http:// some domain name /PayPal original domain/ .Some person scammed by this as there is PayPal original domain involved. But it does not point to PayPal. Before you click the link you should move your mouse over the link, it will show the destined URL in the status bar of you browser.

I hope you will be safe now. You should follow the steps I have told you. I more advice, PayPal always instructs its user to forward an email these scam mails to them. Please forward these mails to spoof@paypal.com, and delete it from your email account. You are even asked to report phishing websites. You should do what PayPal asks for. It will help to eliminate and decrease the risks. If you have any such incidences please share with us. I would also like to know your own tips on remaining safe from those.


By the way those who have not yet heard of or participated in My Blog Contest are invited to participate. For details go to My Blog Contest Online: 1170 $ + Prizes .

Here are some must read links to know more about Paypal scams

1. Protect Yourself from Fraudulent Emails - PayPal

2. PayPal Email Scam - Web Site Version

3. Learn to Spot Common Scams - PayPal

4. 2 New PayPal Scams

4 comments

  1. E-Tavasi // May 20, 2008 at 1:17 PM

    Wow you take also the screen shot. This email looks like real and same like paypal one. I never herd about this paypal scam. But for my safety i always look at their address http:// and https:// the original paypal have "s" :D

  2. Anonymous // May 20, 2008 at 7:53 PM

    I know why you don't have a Google Adsense ads on your blog. I am sure you were banned... because of invalid clicks.. right?!

  3. Agent Deepak // May 20, 2008 at 10:34 PM

    @ E Tavasi :Good observation. Thanks for the tip.

    @ Anonymous :Have you any name or not. I am not banned from Google Adsense. See near the top of the page. You will find Google Adsense Ads.

  4. Anonymous // May 21, 2008 at 12:26 AM

    i received lots of mails that i knew they were phishing mails. i only access paypal account directly and not from any kind of link